Self-Assessment Tax Returns: Who Has to File

Things you need to know about a self-assessment tax returns

What is a self-assessment tax return?

Each year, you will need to submit a self-assessment tax return, whether you’re a sole trader or director of a business. HMRC collects income tax automatically from wages, pensions, and savings. However, if you have another source of income then you must report it in the form of a Self-Assessment Tax Return.

Who has to complete a self-assessment return?

You will need to send a tax return for any of the following reasons if for the last tax year you were:

  • self-employed as a sole trader and earned more than £1,000
  • a partner in a business partnership

You will not usually need to send a return if your only income is from your wages or pension. But you may need to send one if you have any other untaxed income, such as:

  • money from renting out a property
  • tips and commission
  • income from savings, investments and dividends
  • foreign income

How to file your self-assessment return

You can file your return online or by post, If you have any questions about your return, or you need help filling it in, you can call HMRC on the self-assessment helpline (0300 200 3310)

If you aren’t confident filing your tax return yourself, or you don’t have the time. At Gondal Accountancy, we’re offering to take the weight off your shoulders. We will ensure that your tax returns are completed and submitted within the deadline.

Whether you’re a sole trader, a charity, or a small business, we can help you handle your taxes, self-assessment, and support you with any financial complications. Contact our Self Assessment Accountant in Birmingham.

Self-assessment tax return deadlines

If you have completed a paper return, it must reach HMRC by October 31st and if you have done it online, it must be submitted by 31st January. A £100 fine is automatically given if you do not file the return in time. The longer you delay the return, the more you will be fined.

How to pay Your Self Assessment Tax Online

To make a payment to HMRC Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) is required. UTR is a 10 digit number you can find on the last self-assessment tax return filled with HMRC or any correspondence with them. You can use the following HMRC link to make self assessment payments


If you cannot find your UTR number, you can give us a call on 0121 4399760, and we will advise you on how to request it.

If you are our client, please contact your dedicated accountant to get your 10-digit UTR number or get help paying self-assessment tax online.

Disclaimer: Please be advised that the content of this blog is meant to serve as general information only, and should not be considered as tax advice. Given the complexity of tax laws and the potential for regulatory changes, it is strongly advised that you seek the guidance of a qualified tax professional or financial advisor prior to making any decisions based on the information contained in this blog. Please note that neither Gondal Accountancy nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for any decisions made or not made as a result of the information presented in this article.


Top Posts

Interested in learning more about our Dedicated Accounting Services tailored for Small Businesses?

Get your free, no-obligation consultation from our professional accountants today!